No Christmas or Thanksgiving without McRib!
This is a video from Thanksgiving Day 2015 of Zanthe Pajarillo pleading with the Santa Clarita, California city council to reach out to the area’s McDonald’s restaurant managers and urge them to bring the McRib back to their stores (last year individual franchise owners and managers were given the option to sell the McRib or not, and only 55% of locations decided to participate)
While we were completely dismayed at the lack of shouting and swearing and fights, people being ejected and so on, we also noticed the complete respect given city council and Zanthe Pajarillo in the spirit of Thanksgiving. We also noted that it would be negligent not to reach out to Zanthe and the citizens of Santa Clarita and offer them alternatives in case The Golden Arches company decided to play Grinch and continue to ruin the holiday season. So without further ado, we present the McRib Locator, and The McRib Sandwich Recipe. And as a bonus for fans of the delectable sandwich, a hipster uber cool Straight Outta McRib t-shirt.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced, in adobo sauce
- 2 pounds ground pork
- Kosher salt
- 6 sandwich rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dill pickle slices
- Chopped white onion
- Heat oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and continue simmering until the sauce is thick, 15-20 minutes.
- I prefer the sauce to be chunky, so I used the sauce as it was at this point. If you want a less chunky version, blend the sauce using an immersion blender or transfer (after cooling) to a blender to puree.
- Preheat a large skillet or Griddler to medium-high heat.
- Form the pork into thin rectangular patties that are the size of the buns. Season with salt.
- Cook 3-5 minutes on one side then flip and cook until pork reaches 165 F.
- Brush pork with sauce and flip. Brush other side with sauce. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until the sauce sets up.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and garlic salt and brush onto insides of the rolls. Place rolls butter side up under broil for a minute or two to get a little brown.
- Serve pork patties on rolls topped with dill pickle slices and onion, if using.
And what would you wear while slaving over the mcrib sandwich recipe …. why this snazzy t-shirt of course! One color (black) and comes in sizes small to XXX.